No More Ruffle Scarves, Please! Arm Knitting an Infinity Scarf with Ruffle Yarn

Disclaimer: This post is for those who like to listen to people talk about yarn, look at photos of yarn, and look at people turn yarn into wearable things. If that description does not fit you, then I suggest you go to a different website. Otherwise, enjoy!

If you want the how-to information on this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scarf ASAP, scroll to the bottom of the post. 


Ruffle scarves are kinda weird looking. 

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly don't get how they were ever a trend in the crochet world. Click there >> Ruffle Scarf Pattern-Red Heart in case you don't know what I'm talking about


It may be because that's one of the few things you can make with ruffle yarn.

But somehow, I ended up with three balls of it. 

It was on sale okay? And red is my favorite color. And...it was SPARKLY!! 

Proof that it was on sale

 I kind of fell in love with the yarn. SO PRETTY!! 


See?? So pretty!

Then I realized that it was ruffle yarn. I had no idea what to do with it. I did a little bit of pattern-hunting, but was dissatisfied. 

I tried making a scarf out of a bunch of chains attached together, but I didn't have big enough hooks. ThEN, I realized what to do.

Arm knitting!! Something I had been wanting to try for a while.  I followed this tutorial: Arm Knitting Tute but changed up the measurements. I made an infinity scarf: 



I used two strands of yarn together (Don't use only one strand, I tried that, and it was a mistake.)


2/3 of my beautiful red yarn

I cast on 9 stitches, but somewhere along the line it turned into 8. Oh well. I decided to suck it up and move on. 
9 fabulous stitches


8 slightly less fabulous stitches

I was pretty surprised at how quickly arm knitting works up. I finished this much vvvvvv in less than five minutes.

Four rows; five minutes

 Within forty minutes (including attaching the sides together and weaving in ends), I was finished! 



 I think the 2nd trickiest part was attaching the sides together and weaving in the ends. My weaving together is kinda lumpy, but it's sufficient. 



At the top, I promised that I'd give the straightforward instructions on how to make this scarf. I enjoy being long-winded, but I also understand not having time. Here it is. 

Materials: 
Two arms


Two full skeins of Red-Heart Sashay (I used Rubies in Metallic)

Scissors to finish off

Measurements: Width: about 5 inches to 15 inches. It's so stretchy, it varies.

Length: about 51 inches going around the inside of the scarf. Folded up, it's half of that (25.5) 

I followed This tutorial (be aware that it has several parts), but I changed it up. 

You should cast on 9 stitches, and knit 17 rows. I ended up having only a few feet of the yarn left. 

Then I cast off, cut the yarn and attached the two sides together. 

The last step was weaving in the ends. 

If you want the scarf to look like the picture at the very top of the page, put it around your neck, twist it once, and place that loop on your neck. 

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! You can always email me as well. My email is listed on the About Me page. 

If you enjoyed reading this blog post, or liked my instructions, please subscribe! There is more coming.


But seriously, am I the only one who dislikes ruffle scarves?

 Pinnable Photo: 





CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. wooowww! this looks so cool, praji!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I think the best part was that it didn't take long at all.

      Delete

I truly appreciate comments, so if you have any questions or suggestions, let me know in the comment box below!

Back
to top